Retrograde Season Reflections
As this retrograde season draws to a close (May 14th, 2023), I can't help but reflect on the rollercoaster ride it's been.
I've unwittingly checked off all the classic Mercury retrograde blunders - tangling with technology, losing my cool, succumbing to rushed and choppy communication, dwelling on past mistakes, and wrestling with my own shadows.
The result? A stressed, irritable version of myself, prone to jumping to conclusions without a moment's pause.
Usually, I emerge from retrograde season relatively unscathed. However, the recent lunar eclipse in Scorpio threw a curveball my way.
The chaotic energy seemed to zero in on the shakiest pillars of my life, testing my patience and thoroughness, and infusing an unsettling sense of combativeness and tension.
My Mercury Retrograde Experience:
I recently started a business, which is in its baby stage. As an introvert, I find the social media aspect particularly challenging, but I've been working hard to grow this part of my business.
While organizing my company’s Pinterest board (apparently, that's what the internet says the algorithm demands), I came across a post that had performed exceptionally well, bringing in a lot of traffic. In my attempt to streamline the board, I mistakenly deleted this high-performing post, thinking it was a duplicate.
An intense moment of panic ensued, but I managed to regain my composure and forgive myself. I took this mishap as a cosmic nudge towards practicing detachment and letting go, reminding myself that I am not defined by the number of likes on a post.
This experience has taught me a valuable lessons about navigating the retrograde season, (Like watch what you delete during retrograde).
In the following paragraphs, I'll share some insights and practical tips on how to make the most of these cosmic events, and how to turn retrograde lemons into lemonade.
So, what exactly is a retrograde? Here's the breakdown:
A retrograde is a celestial event where a planet appears to be moonwalking in its orbit—basically, it's an optical illusion.
Mercury, named after the speedy Roman messenger god, governs communication, technology, and innovation.
So, when Mercury looks like it's heading the wrong way, it can feel like our daily life is filled with minor hiccups and delays, both personally and within the broader society.
Now, onto a topic we all love (or not)—learning from our mistakes:
We all like to celebrate our wins, but it's often our missteps and fumbles that provide the real learning opportunities. This retrograde season brought out the stubborn parts of me, those that instinctively resist failure or criticism.
This defensive energy found its way into my work and family life, adding a bit more tension than usual and unearthing some long-buried issues.
Enter the influence of our recent Full Moon/Lunar Eclipse in Scorpio. Scorpio, a fixed water sign guided by Pluto, is known for its transformative energy. It's a deep diver, bringing to light aspects of ourselves that we may not even know exist.
Our beliefs and mental barriers can have a big impact on our experiences during retrograde season. Our thoughts can turn into self-fulfilling prophecies, both good and bad.
This is why retrograde periods often feel like they're nudging us to take a good, hard look at our deeply-held beliefs. When Mercury seems to move backward, it's a great time for self-reflection, a chance to identify and challenge any beliefs that might be holding us back.
And for those who are a bit skeptical about astrology, you can choose to view Mercury retrograde symbolically rather than literally. It's simply an optical illusion, after all.
Consider this a metaphorical time to examine the illusions in your own life and better understand your triggers.
Retrograde Tips: Turning Lemons into Lemonade
- Slow Down: This doesn't mean you need to drop your goals. Instead, give yourself time to think things through before making decisions. Retrograde season is notorious for causing hiccups, so slowing down can help you dodge some bullets. Remember, it's okay to take it easy. Incorporate mindfulness practices like meditation or deep breathing to stay focused and clear-headed. Feeling overwhelmed? Take a breather—go for a walk, read a book, or do anything that helps you regain your balance.
- Don’t Be So Serious: Relax. Mercury retrograde doesn't have to spell doom and gloom. Use this time for introspection, planning, and setting solid foundations for future goals. It's not the best time for making major moves or sealing business deals; instead, use it to organize and prepare for the next six months. Write down your goals and break them down into achievable steps. This planning phase can set you up for success when Mercury goes direct.
- Practice Self-Compassion: Sure, mistakes might pop up more frequently during retrograde, but remember—it's okay to mess up. Just like my Pinterest snafu, these moments are opportunities to practice self-compassion and detachment. Remind yourself, 'I am not my mistakes,' and allow yourself to learn from these experiences.
- Stay Connected: Reach out to your support network. Share your retrograde experiences, frustrations, and triumphs with your loved ones. Their perspective and empathy can often provide comfort and clarity.
- Maintain a Retrograde Journal: Jot down your thoughts, emotions, and events during retrograde. This practice can highlight patterns and recurring themes in your life, serving as a personal guide for future retrogrades.
Remember, these tips are not one-size-fits-all solutions. Try them out and see what works best for you. The goal is to navigate this challenging period with grace, patience, and self-compassion.
Upcoming Retrograde Dates
Mark your calendars, folks, because we have two more Mercury retrogrades this year:
- August 23 - September 15, 2023
- December 12 - January 1, 2024
The Retrograde Recap
Wrapping up, remember that retrograde seasons, as tough as they can be, are just opportunities for us to grow and transform. They're our chance to learn from life and come out the other side stronger and wiser.
I'd love to hear about your own retrograde adventures and how you've managed to deal with them. Drop your stories and strategies on our socials and let's learn from each other. Let's build a community that supports and grows together!
And hey, if you found this post helpful, why not pass it along to your friends? It might be just what they need to handle their next retrograde season a little better. After all, we're all on this cosmic rollercoaster together!"